Intro

I am a Digital Forensics student studying at university in the UK. I also do some Cyber Security modules.
I am currently in my 2nd year.
I have mainly started this to post interesting things I have learned and problems I have encountered.
However, I will use it to do write ups about useful things I want to remember such as commands and tools I have used so I don't forget them! (To be honest, I don't expect anyone to read this!)

Friday 1 May 2015

Placement Year

Pretext: I have mentioned about doing another couple of posts about the work ive been doing over the past month, but I havent gotten around to it with deadlines and stuff. Ill sort them out soon...


I seem to have forgotten to post about my Placement Year.
At my university, i do 2 years, then a "Year in Industry" and then go back for my final year.

I thought I had sorted this before Christmas, but one thing led to another and it didnt pan out!
I kind of pre-empted the first placement falling through, so i started looking for another.

I found one!


So, my degree is call "Forensic Computing", however, as previously explained, I do some modules of Cyber Security, which i thoroughly enjoy.

I am extremely confident in my ability in terms of Forensic Computing. I feel i am quite competent with it. However, im not as confident with Cyber Security, which is understandable as its not my core subject.

I wanted to get better though, and i thought getting a placement within the Cyber Security field would push me to learn it inside out so i would have skills in both Forensics and Cyber Security.

I was inspired to do this by a Guest Lecturer we had come in from a big Forensic company. He mentioned quite strongly that there was a lack of people who know both industries and can "translate" to each one.

Seeing this as a good thing to put on my CV, i made the decision not to do a placement in Forensics.

So yeah, i have a job for a year doing Cyber Security work. I start in a couple of weeks and i am really looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment