Intro

I am a Digital Forensics student studying at university in the UK. I also do some Cyber Security modules.
I am currently in my 2nd year.
I have mainly started this to post interesting things I have learned and problems I have encountered.
However, I will use it to do write ups about useful things I want to remember such as commands and tools I have used so I don't forget them! (To be honest, I don't expect anyone to read this!)

Thursday 19 February 2015

How To Install Stegdetect In Kali

Don't bother. Give up. Its way too much hassle.

Apart from being extremely hard to find, you have to mess around with moving files here there and everywhere. No one has time for that.

I have spent the majority of the day, from about 11am till about 7pm trying to get it to work.

I am not one to give up, I very rarely give up, but in this case, it was the most sensible option because i was literally pulling my hair out and getting frustrated.


So, instead of trying to get it working I moved onto my backup option: Caine.

Booted the live disc up in my virtual machine - opened a terminal - typed "stegdetect".....Command Not Found. :@ :@.

I know its on there, the website listed it as included since version 3, we are now on version 6 (I was running 5).
I came to the conclusion after about another hour of Googling, that it wasnt meant to be and my theory was that you have to actually install Caine to get it to run. I could not be bothered with that.

So, Backup number 2: DEFT.

In all honesty, Deft is something i downloaded last summer when i wanted to play around with new Forensic software. I was trying to gather as much software as possible so i had a leading edge when it came to my course. But i just never got around to installing it and playing with it until tonight.

I love it. Not quite as much as Kali for an all rounder, but for forensic specific, its brilliant.

Fired that up, typed in my commands, and away i went.

I did have another slight issue with Stegbreak which i will cover in a post after this to give people a better chance of finding it. SEO and all that!

No comments:

Post a Comment