Intro

I am a Digital Forensics student studying at university in the UK. I also do some Cyber Security modules.
I am currently in my 2nd year.
I have mainly started this to post interesting things I have learned and problems I have encountered.
However, I will use it to do write ups about useful things I want to remember such as commands and tools I have used so I don't forget them! (To be honest, I don't expect anyone to read this!)

Thursday 26 February 2015

Using DD Command

So I thought i really should backup my hard drive on my laptop.
I was in a situation today where a 32GB Memory Stick just wasnt big enough (EnCase!!!).

So i brought a 1TB 2.5" drive today and thought it would be a good opportunity to properly use the DD command to take an image of it.

Here is the syntax i used:
dd if=/dev/sda of=/media/DRIVE-LABEL/backup.dd bs=512k

It took the best part of 3 hours to do 250GB over USB.

No comments:

Post a Comment